Sunday, January 26, 2020

Am I the Only One

In High School there was a large bodied boy named Sam. When it was Gym class time Mr S the teacher insisted that we  all  participate. 

 I decided to stay out of the way of Sam because I was a slim little stick of a boy. Now and then I was at the bottom of a pile of boys with Sam on top. No fun in that.

Upon graduation Sam went to  Minneapolis to do some wrestling. We heard that he got absolutely beaten into a pulp. How did us little people react. I for one was quietly pleased.

There is a word for that  in the German language   SCHADENFRUEDE.  It means taking pleasure in the misfortune of others.
   
A pretty girl gets jilted by a boy friend or lover. Friends say to themselves: She was rather shallow you know. And all that lip stick!

 At one church service where I was speaking, a man stood up and spoke up, saying that what I was saying was wrong.  I allowed him to go on talking.  Afterwards people were quite offended that he had gotten up and done that. I got some pleasure out of that.

This is a personal flaw for most of us.  I for one commit myself to personal Honesty and more Kindness to all. It is a long word but worth remembering. Schadenfreuede

Delton

No comments: