Tuesday, February 11, 2020

On Being 91 Years Of Age

Today I become 91 Years of Age. This is one personal story that I am willing to share. Son of Mathilda and Rudolph Krueger I was born at home near Lamberton, Minnesota on a farm on Dutch Charlies Creek. I went to District 16 one room school with 11 students.

Due to foresight of parents. we moved to Redwood Falls with its good School System and then went to Hamline University in St Paul, Minnesota. Then went to Graduate School at Drew University at Madison. New Jersey. Joan and I were married and our children are Martha, Margaret, Janet and Elizabeth.

A decision to be a United Methodist local church pastor led to being at a number of congregations. At a number of appointments there were two churches and up to three worship services a Sunday.  Some weeks there were services during the weeks as well and what seemed like unending committee meetings.

At one point I was appointed to be a regional leader called a District Superintendent.

My approach was personal in that I did not directly tell people what to believe. Rather, I raised questions about daily life issues and proposed possible spiritual guidelines for individual thought and personal decision making. 

Counseling people was part of the work. When death came it was up to me to relate with the berieved and  
preside at funerals. When a woman and man decided to be married I counseled with them and officiated at the wedding.
Counseling also was with people whose lives were falling apart or who were dealing with alcohol or unfaithfulness or mental illness.

As for the theology that was my foundation, here it is: Blessed be the Name and Person of Jesus Christ, Creator God who came and enables us to Deal with Evil and raises us to New Life in the Spirit






No comments: