Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Education in the 89th year of life

    
Beginning an organized educational venture in the 89th year of life is turning out to be a fearsome act. It feels like taking leave of oneself and picking up on the trail of a next identity.

I have chosen an online course on "Jewish Civilization from Mohammad to Spinoza". It involves 12 hours of lecture instruction by History professor David Ruderman from the University of Pennsylvania. The course is found at Great Courses offered by The Teaching Company.

Examinations will happen in conversations with family and friends as I try to tell them what I am learning. I will soon discover whether I am up to the challenge. After the first lesson, I realize that this project is no “walk in the park”.

What are some motivations for this venture?  1. Improvement of my mind; 2. Adding meaning to life in advanced age; 3. Becoming a more interesting person; 4. Using time creatively; 5. Increasing understanding of a world culture in a unique time of transition.

During professional life, I have been teacher of people making use of questions to draw out information already within people as well as providing information. 

Now the table is turned on myself.  Now I am the student. Professor Ruderman has information beyond my awareness. I must pay attention, take notes, recall information and observe my reactions.

Delton
3-14-17

No comments: